Monday, August 13, 2018

Not Your Normal First Day of School

Today is the first day of school.


Today there will be no first day pictures.





We had one of the hardest weeks. How do you comfort an autistic teen with PTSD? We had no clue, but the best we could offer was space and love. We endured hours of yelling and blaming. He only sees black and white. If you did something wrong why isn’t there punishment. Why do I have to get an education if someone who educated me, hurt me? Questions we don’t have answers to.


I think back and I can recall the first day of school picture from his eighth grade year. His smile, he was ready to start a new year. This picture I hold dear to my heart, it was one of the last pictures I took of him with a genuine smile till recently.


If I could do anything to change that fall, I would. The horrible truth is there are predators in safe places. No amount of safe guards and back ground checks will completely keep our children safe. Our schools are safer then they have ever been. Sadly sexual abuse and violence will still happen.  


What are we to do? Especially if we do everything in our power to protect our children and they are still victimized.


We listen more carefully. Ask more open ended questions. Questions they cannot answer with a yes or no.Watch their body language when they talk about their day. Believe them. Let them know they are loved, they are safe. Question any comment they make that does not feel right. Trust your instincts. Talk with the other adults in their life.  


I wish I could go back. The day he told me about the weird substitute who would come in and talk to him in the bathroom. The days he screamed and refused to go to school but we made him. The day another teacher called me and said you need to come get him, I'm a mom too and I can tell he is extremely upset. I know that if I would have questioned more in these moments he may not have disclosed the abuse then. But, maybe. We could have more evidence, maybe justice. We would have helped our son that year, not two years later.


Please help us spread awareness. Help us let children, who are sexually abused, know they are safe and not alone. They do not need to be ashamed. They are loved. They are survivors.


90% of  children who are sexually abused know their abuser. ~ D2L.org 




No comments:

Post a Comment