Thursday, July 5, 2012

Ketosis Strikes Again

Well it has been less than 1 week since our last encounter and it has struck again.  This is a new venture for us. One we would rather not take.  Sunny normally may develop ketosis once every two years, now it seems to be a weekly encounter.

This morning I was awakened by Sunny telling me her pump wasn't working.  So we checked the battery. It was dead, found a new battery, it was dead. At 7 am I went in search of the ultra expensive hard to find battery at Walmart. Where 15 other people with full carts are trying to check out in the 1 lane open.  I only want to buy 1 package of overpriced batteries and leave. While I spent 20 minutes in line Elliott texted me that Sunny had large ketones and what should they do. I hardly ever get impatient at the grocery store, it's usually my child free quiet time.  But today the employee who cashed her check in the only open lane and  stood chatting with the cashier almost brought out the mama bear in me to yell I have a sick child who's life depends on this battery. Technically her life doesn't depend on the battery, it is insulin we depend on, the battery just makes it easier.  As for yelling at the cashier, who also insisted in cleaning the counter between every customer, I left that up to the grumpy older gentleman, who noticed two managers having a chat, he let them know how WE felt about standing in line. Two lanes immediately opened.

As soon as I was home we started checking symptoms, giving shots, and playing phone tag with doctors.  Luckily by lunch time she was back to normal, able to eat, and ready for a nap.  I think I just may take a nap too.

No comments:

Post a Comment