Saturday, April 21, 2012

Letting our children grow up takes faith, a lot of it.

One of the biggest challenges we face as parents is letting our children grow up. This often takes some letting go and a lot of faith. But there is joy in seeing our children become independent. Sunny had the opportunity this weekend to go on her first youth retreat with our church. When she brought home the papers, she was so excited, I was nervous. I have no problem with her going away, it is the the fear of what I can't do in an emergency. She is not a normal kid as much as we try to make her life normal. At first we said no because I didn't want her going without me. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to keep up. I spent the weekend at the homeschool conference and had to take several naps a day just to make it through two one hour sessions. I thought if I really had to I could go with her and just stay in the hotel, but then I wouldn't be very helpful. Exhaustion can set in pretty quickly, I didn't know how bad it was at the conference until I tried to go up the down escalator twice!

Taking a trip, even as a family, takes extra preparation. Gone are the days of hopping in the car and heading out of town for the afternoon. We have to have supplies, check levels and sugars, take in to consideration what and when she needs to eat. I don't really want to count how any times we have turned a 1 hour trip into a 2 hour trip. We have been very thankful for doctors who call in prescriptions late at night when we realize we have forgotten something.

I am realizing how independent she is becoming with her own care. I have sent her to Michigan and Cincinnati with friends and knew if we "trained" someone with what to do in an emergency she would be fine. I am sure Sunny is in capable hands. She is with people I trust and know would do everything to take good care of her. And here it is 11:00 pm and I have not had a single phone call. I admit I have checked to make sure I had a signal and was thankful when Jim called me to make sure my phone will ring! It seems my daughter is growing up and I can't stop her. Yep, it's time for a lot faith and some letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment