Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lupus, Diabetes, and Their Lack of Cooperation with My Plans

I had grand plans to makeover my bedroom. It really needed a makeover since I never have decorated our room. We were switching rooms to prepare for our upcoming home study. Decided the boys would need the bigger room. Elliott's room is the size of a large closet with superman blue and bright yellow walls. Nothing screams out romance like Michigan colors, unless you are huge fans. So I picked out a lovely purple that complimented the quilt I am making for Jim(not finished yet, but can almost fit the bed, whole other blog). I believed I could do this in two days. Yes, I was completely in denial. The lack of rest knocked me out for a few days, then I had another bought with whatever virus has decided to camp out in my body this past month. Needless to say, I am still working on it. Which brings us to today, I finally have some energy and decided to make progress. My lupus is cooperating, my children are off doing their schoolwork. Then it happens "the Sunny forgot to bolus and is annoyed by everyone yell." O K, take a deep breath, I tell her to take a break from her math until her sugar goes down. No, she cries, I just want to do my math. Now I know she is really high, arguing over not doing work. This is one of the reasons we home school, it gives her the flexibility to do her work when she can concentrate. Anyone who is diabetic or around diabetics understand that high blood sugar can make you unable to concentrate and irritable. A fact our daughter seems to forget when she is yelling because her brother is humming and she wants to do her work when I want her to take a break. Sometimes I wonder if she wants to work just because I tell her she doesn't have to. Hmmm, maybe I will try a little reverse psychology next time. I figure the best solution is to get her younger brother to stop. Yes, I really thought he might cooperate and not bother his sister. We have a little discussion about being supportive of her diabetes and the importance of controlling his urge to hum and sing when she is in the room. He claims he doesn't know he does it, I believe him since Jim does the same thing. In the end, Elliott escaped with a few scratches, Sunny barely has a passing grade on her assignment, and my room is going to need another day. I am READY for a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment