Thursday, June 13, 2013

Look For Your Invitation, My Inspiration to cook


I am enjoying my time down. O K, I am really trying to. When I am healthy I do a lot. I had to stop looking at Pinterest. It can be depressing when you are a doer and all your allowed to do is sit on the couch. I have made quite the  progress on the kids quilts and read some good books. My favorite, Bread and Wine by Shawna Niequist is a great book about gathering around the table with friends and family. Just to let you know I am planning on having dinner parties as soon as I am able. I can tell you the company will be wonderful but can't say the same about the food. I'm not saying I am a bad cook. I worked at a catering company and picked up a few lessons from the chefs. Unfortunately after my last flare I had memory loss and it seems it wiped out my cooking skills. Or possibly they were bad to start with and  my family is really nice. Part of it comes from growing up Italian in Southern California, I can make a mean pizza (not frozen) and my pasta is perfect, always al dente. Our family has a standing Taco Tuesday and Pizza Friday.  I do enjoy baking and have made progress in that area. My progress is due to some excellent recipes I've been given by friends. Usually after Jim has eaten the majority of cookies at any function we attend, I know I need to ask for the recipe.

So I guess what it comes down to is I don't have the right recipes. I know the techniques, just not the ingredients. I started figuring this out early in my marriage. I really don't know how to cook traditional "Midwest" food. Jim wanted to have beef and noodles, I asked how to make it, he laughed and said beef and noodles. I also asked how to make pot roast. 

One of the benefits of being down for 6 weeks is all the meals our friends have blessed us with. My family has noticed how wonderful these meals are. Not just because they taste so delicious, but we can feel God's love through their service. These meals have also inspired me to read more cookbooks and use my Allrecipes App more often. I am planning menus for those dinner parties, I'll try a new recipe every week, and its never to late to learn to cook. I promise I will test it out on my family first. They tend to be brutally honest when it comes to my cooking adventures. Look for your invitation, I promise you'll have a good time and we always have frozen pizza as a back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment