Monday, June 24, 2013

Too Short To Not Be Intentional

We are settling into a summer routine. Sleeping till 10 AM (Sunny, when I forgot she is not at school), eating ice cream for breakfast (Elliott thinking I was still in bed, while I was having my quiet time). It is turning out to be a very relaxing summer, although it may have something to do with my resting from surgery.
Thankfully this surgery has reminded me of a few things. Resting is good. We will survive the dishes in the sink and the laundry basket full.  I have amazing friends and family. And I want to be intentional. Intentional authentic relationships. The type of relationships that grow and need cultivating.
Last summer was quiet. My kids and I went our separate ways. They are older, what teen and tween want to hang out with their mom. At least what I thought. I think I missed something. I forgot how much my kids still need me. How much they need my focus, my intentional time.  Since the start of summer, we've had more conversations, more goofy moments, more intentional time. It takes effort but it has been so worth it. Not only do I know my kids better but I am learning some things about myself.
Realizing years ago that nurturing isn't one of my natural gifts, I began to pray for it. I have been blessed by trials to learn the true meaning of nurture. One of the gifts hidden amidst Type 1 Diabetes. Each day becoming a better mother. Not perfect but better. My next prayer is to be intentional. Remembering no matter what stage my children are in they will always need me in some capacity, even when they or I may not think so. Giving them all of my focus in our time together. Life is too short to not be intentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment