Monday, June 24, 2013

We Got the Call

The call came. I thought it was to tell us there is a problem with our home study. Surprisingly it was for a child. I had one of those moments when you praise God with dancing and singing. Sunny joined in the jumping and crying. Elliott sunk deep in his chair embarrassed I would behave this way in front of his friends. Nothing can contain the joy I feel. 

This journey has been so long. We began talking about adoption after we lost our twins, it was my third pregnancy. We knew I really shouldn't have children. Then Sunny came along. We started the process after losing another child. We were looking into different agencies when our heart was opened to the need for children in foster care. We chose a local agency and started the home study. The next week we found out Elliott was on the way. A few years passed but the longing deep inside never went away.  Again we found a local agency and started the process, Jim became injured and out of work. Everything was put on hold. Started back up, Sunny was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  We had no idea what was ahead, we again stopped the process.  Next a lupus flare. As I would look at my prayer journal. My unanswered prayer would bring a deep ache. I grieved adoption, like giving birth to more children, was a lost hope. My prayer was Adopt in 3-5 years. I wanted to write no for the answer. I could never bring myself to do it. Last year we started the process again. We were hit with trial after trial during this process. This time we did not give up. I truly believed the time is coming. After 13 years, we got the call. We now wait to see if we match. This one may not be our child, but there is one out there for us and we are officially ready. God did hear that prayer and one day soon their name, not no, will be written as the answer.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. James 1:2-5 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment